At first, he studied music and painting; the latter with José de la Vega Marrugal. Later, he attended the Escuela de Bellas Artes de Sevilla, where he studied with Eduardo Cano, Manuel Ussel de Guimbarda and Emilio Sánchez Perrier.
Throughout his life, he participated in the National Exhibition of Fine Arts, where he was awarded medals in 1887, 1890 and 1895. He also participated in the Exposition Universelle (1889) and the Worlds Columbian Exposition. In 1899, he was named a member of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando.
Most of his works depict Seville, the Guadalquivir and surrounding areas. He was closely associated with the Alcalá de Guadaira school of painting. In 1904, he visited Tangier and produced some paintings in Orientalist style. His works are in numerous museums (including the Carmen Thyssen Museum) and private collections. He was also a regular contributor of illustrations for the magazine Blanco y Negro.